A Montana Landmark
For Over 75 Years


Recreational Use Permit Changes

Posted on 06.30.2023

Recreational Use Permit Changes

Starting July 1st 2023 recreationalist will need to purchase a conservation permit instead of the Recreational Use Permit. You will need this for recreating on any Fishing access sites (FAS), wildlife management areas (WMA), wildlife habitat protection areas (WHPA), and Montana state trust lands. You will not need this for Montana State Parks. Here are some examples (but not limited to) of recreating: Walking your dog, hiking, biking, rafting, birding, photography.

Prior to this change you did not need to have any licenses for Fishing access sites (FAS) or wildlife management areas use. Starting July 1st, 2023 you will need to have a Conservation License to recreate in these areas along with the state trust lands. If you are planning on camping in any of these areas, the camping fee does NOT include the Conservation License, you will need to purchase that in addition to the camping fee.

Due to the change in the middle of the 2023 season any Recreation Permit purchased for the current season will be valid in place of the conservation. Starting July 1, 2023 and for the 2024 Season there will no longer be the option for the “Recreation Permit”.

Cost of a Conservation License

Montana Resident

Adult (18-62): $8.00

Youth (12-17), and apprentice hunters ages 10&11: $4.00

Senior (62+): $4.00Nonresident: $10.00

For more information on conservation licenses, click here.

Tagged: FWP Recreation Outdoor Hiking